Thursday, July 19, 2012

Some quick impressions on Nexus 7 tablet.

Getting out during lunch, the box was already sitting there -- less than 12 hours between the time I received the email (1:07 a.m.) and when it was dropped off.  No unboxing videos -- like you need to see another one of those.

I opened it up, plugged it in to charge -- it had just half a charge -- but I couldn't wait, so I turned it on and logged into my WiFi.  I've been playing with it...mostly getting all my apps sync'd and just finished installing the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 update.  I've been playing with it ever since.

First thing: If you want to screen capture on the Nexus 7 tablet, you have to press the volume down button and the power button at the same time and hold it for a second.  They're adjacent to each other, and it's awkward trying to do this with one or two hands.  It works well on my GS-II phone where the volume and power buttons are on opposite edges, but it's difficult when they're on the same side.

Next thing: Adding widgets is not the same.  Normally you'd just press and hold down the background; in the tablet, you press on the big round icon with the little squares -- the applications button -- and at the top you swipe sideways to switch between apps and widgets.  You then hold and drag the widget to the home screen.

Important (for me): Starbucks app is not compatible with Jelly Bean!  Whaaaaaa?!!!?!?!

So of course, if you live a Google-based lifestyle, having everything sync'd is beautiful.  That goes for having your Chrome bookmarks, your Gmail, even your Apps.  It's quite a wonderful experience IF you live a Google-based lifestyle.  Not everyone wants a Google-based lifestyle (in other words, those with extreme privacy fears), but if you don't mind, it's incredible.

Yes, Project Butter makes the experience slick as the iPad.

You will notice the screen lag when you use drawing tools on this tablet.  I've complained about the lag before on the Galaxy Note, and this tablet is no exception.

Video -- specifically Youtube -- is perfect; you can't ask for a better video experience, really.

Angry Birds is a lot more fun on a tablet.

Google Currents is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!  I didn't really use Currents all that much on my phone, but it looks and works really well on the Nexus 7 tablet.  This might be my new *thing*.

Yes, it's worth buying this tablet.

You can use the pattern lock, face recognition or the slide.

Widgets are added differently .

Google+ is a lot better on a tablet.

No comments: