Sunday, July 29, 2012

Losing interest in Olympics.

I think everyone was excited at the thought of what the convergence of internet and social media would mean for the 2012 Summer Olympics.  This is what happened: disconnectedness.

London2012 has bugs all over the place, with links to nothing.  There is no clearinghouse for tweets from athletes -- you have to subscribe to individual athletes.

It's a cluttered mess.

And NBC continues to delay content and wall off the live streams to people who pay for cable TV.

It's completely underwhelming.  I could accept begrudgingly the tape delay content, but geez, you can't tell if it was 2000 or 2012, by the broadcasts.  Give me more data on the screen, and show me tweets as you go, what people were saying at the time that it was live, for goodness sake.

For instance, right now I'm watching May-Walsh playing sand volleyball, and all they're showing is the score.  What gives?  Show me the kill rate, the number of errors, show me the location of where players were aiming for, give me the data, NBC.

Everyone has larger screens with higher resolution, so you can actually FIT more information on the screen, but the folks at NBC and the IOC are clueless old farts.  The old farts at IOC and NBC are doing their best to make the Olympics the same, boring affair, every two years (Summer and Winter).

No comments: