Sunday, July 22, 2012

Preordering Nexus 7 16GB was worth it.

After all the complaining about how Google fumbled on the shipping of Nexus 7 16GB tablets, I have to say that it was worth it in the end.

They're out of stock at the Play Store, so there is a lot -- and I mean a loooooot -- of demand for the 16GB version (so much so that people are reselling theirs at a profit, on eBay.)  Oddly enough, Google chose to provide just the 16GB models for initial sales to outside retailers, so in a way, they pinched their own supply.  This incidentally points out that, sans external memory slot, people will go for the largest capacity available -- a conclusion I came to, myself.

I haven't downloaded music to it, and it's possible that I never will.  The glory of being all-Android, is that my music collection is accessible, streaming from mostly anywhere.  So when I don't have WiFi, I just use my phone to stream to my headphones.  But also, I have a chunk of my music stored locally on my phone's external memory, just in case.

After holding and playing with the tablet for three straight days, every time I grab my phone now, I see my phone as just a phone.  That is to say, even with its 4.52" screen, my Galaxy S-II phone's screen is minuscule for reading, by comparison, and I am starting to wonder why I read so much from my phone.

Angry Birds is better on a tablet.  So is Draw Everything.

But not everything is capable of running on Jelly Bean / tablets.  I'm getting crashes and odd bugs on various apps, even though the Play Store insists that it's compatible with JB -- it's a trial and error thing.

And you would think that weather app widgets, by now, would have been adapted to take advantage of the larger screens of tablets.

One final thought: I do miss Samsung's TouchWiz UI.  Having an extra two home screens and the quick ability to go back and forth between them with ease, is the downside of having stock Android.




Oh, and I thought I'd chime in on battery life...you can't play Angry Birds continuously for 6 hours. I tried, and it just doesn't fly.

No comments: