Tuesday, July 10, 2012

On my mind...

1. When does that Nexus 7 tablet arrive?!?

So I gave in and I ordered one last week...the 16GB version.  I have a ton of digital magazines and reference material I'd like to load onto it, so I went for the larger version.

The other day, Google's order page changed the shipping estimate from 2-3 weeks to 1-2 weeks.  Most people are pointing to preorders on Staples, suggesting that shipping of units start on July 12th.  If you don't mind driving out to a Staples (and perhaps waiting an extra month -- chatter online suggests the real ship date for outside sales is late August) then you can skip the shipping cost.

I'm just anxious to get my hands on a device that I can do lots of things on, especially reading the loads of digital magazines collecting digital dust in my hard drive.

2.  If you soil your pants when you die, it's not really important to have clean underwear, is it?  You're dead anyway -- it's not like you're going to be embarrassed.

3.  I've read Mormon pundits (and bloggers) insisting that they are not Christians, and Christians insisting that Mormons are Christians.  The former are not willing to co-opt their beliefs, while the latter would like to resolve their cognitive dissonance in order to vote for Mitt Romney.

I think we are all humans, and we simply judge each other on intentions, not religious beliefs.  So for example, I have no problem with a Muslim who seeks peace, but I have a serious problem with a Muslim who shouts, "Death to ____!"  Likewise, I have no problem with an Evangelical Christian who seeks peace, but I have a serious problem with an Evangelical Christian who shouts, "Kill the ____!"  And so on.

4.  Blogger has been adding formatting without my realizing it, specifically "<span>" -- which adds a white background to texts, for some reason.

5.  Everyone is addicted to something.  Some people are addicted to work, others to drugs, others to driving fast, some others to the internet, and so on.  It's called a hobby if it is non-destructive.

6.  The PBS NewsHour is not the same.  No one challenges assertions of facts made by guests, particularly the political operatives who have taken to using outrage as a means to justify the truthfulness of their narrative.

7.  Einstein on the Beach really is how my brain works -- scattered.

8.  I really do want to know if Mitt Romney made bets against America, to grow his fortune.

No comments: