Tuesday, March 5, 2013

What if UPS misses their target delivery date?

I've been OCD on my UPS package, and while I'm sure that the data they're showing is most certainly old and my package is on its way from Hermiston, Oregon to my local hub (if not already here), it could be that my package will arrive a day later than scheduled.

What I mean is, efficiency is NOT 4 hours driving between Spokane and Hermiston; that's stopping for lunch, a toilet break and grabbing some coffee.  And what's up with the facility in Spokane holding onto a package for 12 hours?

Hermiston, OR, United States 03/05/2013 5:15 P.M. Arrival Scan
Spokane, WA, United States 03/05/2013 12:55 P.M. Departure Scan
Spokane, WA, United States  03/05/2013 12:52 A.M. Arrival Scan

Cripes, I could have driven to Spokane, picked up my package, then driven back, faster than it took them to transfer a package to the next truck!

One time, they were several days past the scheduled delivery date; FedEx has also been late with packages, too.

So I was wondering, what exactly happens if they miss their targeted delivery dates?  Or are these delivery dates that they show online just another layer of meaningless data that they use to manage customer expectations?

Update: It's on the truck, out for delivery.  Fastest leg of the journey was the transfer made at the Portland hub.
Portland, OR, United States 03/06/2013 6:24 A.M. Out For Delivery
Portland, OR, United States  03/06/2013 5:10 A.M. Arrival Scan
Hermiston, OR, United States 03/06/2013 1:49 A.M. Departure Scan
If I'm outside and I run into him, I can get my box right then and there -- a huge benefit of living in downtown.

Update 2: It got dropped off just before lunch, and I finally made it downstairs to grab it. The outer box got dinged around a lot, with the cardboard crumpled at two corners, but thankfully there were two layers of padding -- an outer air-cushion roll and stiffer air cushions within the inner box.  All is well.

No comments: