Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Dwell magazine pricing disincentive.

I still don't get it. Digital subscriptions should cost at least as much as print, don't you think?  But instead, I got a print renewal (the first post-expiration notice) for 1 year at $14.95 / 2 years at $29.95.  Zinio's got just single-year digital subscription pricing special for $13.99, and Google Play has the regular digital subscription price of $19.95 / year.  It costs me more in the long run, to subscribe to Dwell's digital mag, than it would, for their print version.

All the other cool kids (publishers) have their digital subscriptions priced at least as much as their print, though most of them are much lower.  Why can't Dwell do that?

I'm trying to eliminate as much physical stuff as I can by going all-digital, but with Dwell's oddball pricing, I've dropped them from my subs.  Next up: Metropolis.  If they can't get their digital act together, I'll be dropping them completely, too.

No comments: