Monday, March 18, 2013

Spring-Cleaned in a day: Google's note-taking app.

According to Android Police Google let slip a new note-taking app -- Google Keep -- that seemed to be something short of an Evernote competitor. It was live for all of one day, then they took it back, once word spread.  It was probably in testing all along, but coming on the heels of Reader getting axed, I couldn't agree more with AP's sarcasm:
"Probably another victim of a spring cleaning. These Google products just don't last as long as they used to!"

Am I going to switch once Google Keep goes live, for real?  Hell no!

I'll definitely play with Google Keep when it is officially available, but I'm keeping my Evernote!  Right now, I've lost trust in Google, after what they did to Reader.  For them to cut off a program that cost them a reported $7M annually, despite about $50B in annual revenues, is disappointing, annoying, aggravating, disheartening, dumb, petty, ridiculous...etc.

So, if Keep does not contain a revenue stream, it is subject to getting axed in the future -- this we learned the hard way, with Reader.

It's like getting your heart broken: once some woman breaks your heart, it takes time before you're able to face her again, let alone trust her.  In the five stages of grief, I'm still going back and forth between Denial, Anger and Bargaining.  In other words, I'm not one of the reported 500K+ Reader users who made the switch over the last few days over to Feedly.

No comments: