Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Adobe ditched me.

I was blocking out some money for an expected upgrade this year to the next Creative Suite, and then Adobe announced that they had cancelled boxed software suites yesterday.  Now, your only choice is to lease software from them.

For some it may seem that $50/ month to get their full lineup of software is great, and if I was starting out without having made prior investments into their software, I'd be happy, too.  But I'm not one of those folks, because I own my software, I've spent thousands on it, and now they're telling me to go screw myself.

I really only want 5 pieces of software: Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat and Dreamweaver.  Ironically, it cost more to subscribe to five pieces of software ($50 / month for the first year) , than to subscribe to their entire library of software ($30 / month for the first year).

I don't want to lease my software, I want to own my software.

Personally, I'm now cheering for Google, Microsoft or Apple to buy out Corel and turn Corel back to the powerhouse it once was, competing head to head with Adobe.  I'm a jilted lover.

Boycott future releases of Adobe software.


Oh, I should add, investors are punishing Adobe right now, down over 2% since yesterday's opening bell, before their announcement.

No comments: