Thursday, September 6, 2012

The dog was attacked by a homeless group's dog.

Walking home from the grocery store during First Thursday, a group of five homeless people with their 85# pit bull mix, couldn't control their dog.  The guy holding the rope leash on his dog had zero control, and his dog lunged at mine and attacked.

You'll never see me as mad as I was, an hour ago.

I kicked that dog's ass off my dog and back into his owner and pushed both of them into the wall.  I even landed a punch into him -- left jab no less.  Yeah, you read that correctly, I kicked the ass of an 85# pit bull mix -- I was ready to take that dangerous dog down by breaking its neck.

The guy, now trying to protect his dog fro me, was talking tough, but the only reason he was talking big was because he had three other guys with him, and this young girl.  I outweighed his puny ass by at least 40 pounds, and I wasn't going to let him or his dog off the hook.

But then an odd thing happened and two of his friends decided to intervene and stop us from getting into a fight.  Like I said earlier this week, I will NOT take shit from anyone who attacks my dog, and I was ready to explode on him and his dog.  Maybe out of fear of drawing the police, his friends wanted to stop it before it got started.

No matter what their intention, they were right: getting into a fight wasn't worth it.  I was raging mad, but getting into a full-on fight wouldn't have helped my dog.

As we parted ways, the homeless girl who was part of the group, apologized and a bystander said, "Hey man, I feel for you."

Apology not accepted; take responsibility FIRST.  When I got home, I discovered that the dog had broken the skin of my dog's neck and was bleeding slightly.  Probably because I kicked his ass off before he could get into my dog, it wasn't worse.  I immediately treated his neck with alcohol and cotton balls, and triple-ointment antibiotics, but I know that I'll have to take him in to the vet tomorrow.  So the asshole gets to walk away without taking responsibility for his dog's unprovoked attack, and I have to foot a vet bill.

That's fucked up.

I called 911 to see if it warranted a response, and the operator said that it wasn't the police's control over a dog attack -- call the county animal control.  I did, but apparently the operator gave me the wrong number; but really, what would they do other than take a report and maybe spend an hour looking around?  IDK, I may still file a report -- haven't made up my mind on it.

If there was a City Ordinance that was fairly black and white about dog ownership by homeless people, then the police could intervene immediately.

Seriously, three dog attacks / near-attacks in four years by homeless people's dogs (one under the 405 / NW Overton, one under US30 / 405, and tonight on NW 12th between Johnson and Irving.)

There ought to be a City Ordinance that states, homeless people aren't allowed to have pit bull and pit bull mixes or any dog over 50#.

No comments: