Friday, September 14, 2012

Damn, what a day.

It was a terribly long day today.

Got up in the morning to drive to a meeting; car battery was dead.  Had to catch a ride back and to.

The struggle then came, trying to pull the battery out so that I could charge it with my plug-in-the-wall charger, which of course was a bit of a problem because the battery in my flashlight was nearly dead and I grabbed the wrong wrench sizes; I went upstairs about three times.

I finally decided to call Les Schwab. Turns out they could come out and for free (because I was only about 10 blocks away!); the only problem was, I'd have to wait -- no complaints believe me, because it was free and did I mention that it was free?  Well, I missed my first chance, when I had to go upstairs and grab a tape measure to verify that the garage door had a 7' clearance.  I waited for just over an hour, but when the guy got here, it started right up with his external battery.

To be clear, I didn't think I'd have to drive it that much to get it started in charging.  I was wrong.  So I went out to have coffee with my BFF.  We got stuck at Starbucks when the car would turn but not start.  We were about 1/4 mile away from her car, so we were starting to walk back, but ran into someone who fortunately had jumper cables.

Reminder to self: BUY JUMPER CABLES AND STORE IN CAR.

Anyway, this great guy -- Jin Park (thanks again!) -- helped us out.  He hooked up his car battery, but it still wouldn't start, even though it was turning.  I started to think maybe it was more than the battery.  Tried it a few more times, and it still wasn't working.  One last time, and after 15 minutes of talking and waiting, it finally worked!

So I drove my BFF to her car, and then proceeded to drive around for over an hour.

I drove to and around Sauvie Island; drove back and over the St. John's Bridge to the Rivergate industrial area, then back to I-5 via Marine Drive; then took I-5 to 26 to the Zoo; then drove the west hills down back to home.

When I got home, I parked backside in, so that if the problem was not resolved and the battery was damaged, it wouldn't be so difficult to replace the battery.  It was already 8:15 pm.

I didn't bother turning the alarm on; I just locked the doors.  Tomorrow I'll start er up and see if it worked.

Cross my fingers.

No comments: