Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Apple seems to be headed in the wrong direction.

Take this however you want to, but today's unveiling of the new iPod Touch, iPod Nano and iPhone5 wasn't groundbreaking, shocking or newsworthy.  Oh sure, I know the media has trumpeted the impending iPhone5 and will surely follow up with great proclamations about how fantastic the new phone is.  But look closely and you'll see that the hardware is already inside of the leading phones currently in the market place or recently announced.

Yes, I'm a fan of Google.  But I can recognize that Nokia's Lumia 920 was a good leap forward in hardware (though you can't tell from the exterior because other than size, it looks nearly like the Lumia 900); that the iPhone4 was an amazing push in manufacturing processes; and that Microsoft's Surface Tablet is pushing the boundaries of hardware, even if expensive.

And I think to the frustration of many Apple fans, the change to the new, 8-pin connector will inconvenience all-Apple households.

To me, Apple's new hardware was about evolutionary steps, not revolutionary moves.  I'm not yet ready to declare that Jobs' death was the beginning of the end of Apple, but if they keep this up, Apple will surely be just another tech company in less than a decade.  Following this up with a 7" iPad Mini is a signal of following, not leading, in my book.

No comments: