Sunday, July 31, 2011

T-Mobile: MyTouch 4G Slide / HTC HD7 WP7 phones.

So I finally made my way to the T-Mobile store to talk with a salesperson and take a look at the HD7 WP7 phone and the MyTouch 4G Slide Android phone.

First, the HTC HD7 phone with WP7 is slick, though it takes some getting used to.  There are a LOT of functions lacking on it that are on Android 2.1+ phones -- this is no exaggeration.  The included NAV software is weak in comparison to Android's Google Maps, and takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to load.  Customization comes down to changing colors and rearranging the tiles on WP7...not anywhere as cool and good as Android.  This idea that tiles are deeply integrated is somewhat true...but not everything is like that.  By comparison, Android widgets are pretty darn close to the functionality of WP7 tiles...so whatever, right?

All in all, it was fine, but just not good enough for me.  Truly, Microsoft is far behind Android and the iPhone in several ways.  I'm sure other people will find it more than acceptable, but the final and most important reason why I'm passing on it, is that I'm all in on the Google / Gmail ecosystem.




Second, the MyTouch 4G Slide is very, super, extra awesome.  But heavy...as in DROID-heavy.  If you've handled a Droid, you know what I mean.  The Samsung Galaxy by comparison, feels lighter, and obviously without a keyboard slider, is much thinner.  But the photo function in the MyTouch 4G Slide is UNREAL!  It identifies faces, it selectively focuses where you want it to, and it has a very smooth zoom built in...barely any wait in shutter time.  The buttons on the keyboard are rectangular and spread out, making one wish they were larger, using up all that empty space in between buttons.  Works well enough for me, though.  Oh, and as I looked at the Khaki colored one, I realized it was probably a bad idea, because I'd get it dirty in no time.

Alas, I didn't come home with one.  I did confirm however, that my super-old subscription plan and price are good to go with the new phone, and I get the same price.  Best part though -- and this is a whopper -- my data plan remains the same, unlimited with zero throttling, but instead of 3G, I get to run on the HSPA+ 4G speeds!  Seriously good news.  So why didn't I buy one?  I dunno...I guess I just like to digest it first.  If I get a new phone before Ice Cream comes out, this one is definitely it.


No comments: