Thursday, June 21, 2012

Parting thoughts about my SSD.

Here's a summary:

  • The Windows Experience Index score on the SSD is 7.8, 0.1 point shy of a perfect 7.9 score -- why 7.9 as a top index score as opposed to 10, I have no clue.  It's interesting that my old workstation with SATA-II, can still achieve a WEI 7.8 on the Kingston Hyper X drive.
  • You don't dare put your computer - and therefore the SSD - to sleep or hibernation, ever.  Turning it off / turning it on is extremely fast, so it's not the same drag as with a regular hard drive.
  • You don't dare defrag your SSD ever -- something you might need to remember if you're using third-party defragging software.
  • I still haven't completed the install of all the software on my list -- a very time-consuming task.  But even so, the process is much faster with an SSD as you encounter the need to restart changes to the registry frequently, especially with those accumulated Windows fixes / updates.
  • It's a SATA-III SSD, so I have a lot of flexibility to reuse it in the future -- like in later this year or next, when I grab a new workstation.
  • I still have the positive feelings from Microsoft customer service on my mind.  I think the worst service I ever had, was from Adobe.
  • Yesterday, Newegg had the 330-series Intel 120GB SSD available for $90, but it required a mail-in rebate.  I will never give in to a mail in rebate.
So far, no weird noises, no BSODs, no issues whatsoever.  Loving it.

No comments: