Saturday, November 10, 2012

Week 11 PAC-12 predictions

Last week: 4 - 2
Overall: 46 - 25

This is what I wrote last week:
"If Oregon beats USC, no one will be surprised, but watching USC play against Arizona, I can definitely tell you that USC's offense is lethal, so long as they don't incur penalties (laughter ensues).  Meanwhile I have no idea how the defense will perform; last year they did well against the spread option, using their current, fast linebacker crew, but with a revamped d-line, they seemed to let the outside edge open up and the dive play wide open half the time."
I took USC, but everything I wrote last week, was spot on.  USC's offense was lethal, but USC's defense was lethargic.  To be precise, the defense was lost in South Central, on its way to Mexicali.

Can USC bounce back, or have this week's distractions been too much for the season, and the team collapsing?  For what it's worth, the media thinks that what it is smelling is rotten, but from my perspective it has been taken out of context.  No one gives a shit about all of the verbal shenanigans that Mora has gone through in his short stint at UCLA, and no one has lifted a finger to critique Rich Rod and his handling of Matt Scott's concussions, going back to the USC game.  It's a weird world, this sports journalism, where some silly things are of greater import than others.

This week, at homecoming against ASU, it should be a solid win, and it should be a solid defensive effort.  If the score ends up as 42 - 28, it's because the fourth quarter USC has all the subs in, up 42 - 14, I suspect.  Or the Trojans could always send a royal middle finger to some certain sports writers, and blank the Sun Devils, 65 - 0.

I initially had Stanford on top of the Beavers, but then I recalled that the Cardinals have decided to switch quarterbacks at this late in the season; I changed my mind.  I just don't see that working out against a good team like Oregon State.

The one other surprise I see possibly happening, is UCLA losing at WSU.  It's a night game, and it'll be below freezing, as in the mid-20s during the game.  If there's one variable that seems to work well for an underdog home team, it's the weather.  First time playing in freezing temps could mean dropped balls.  The only problem is, Leach seems to have a mini rebellion up there, with Marquess Wilson getting himself suspended from the team; kicked out.  It's hard to win if you have limited talent and your best player is now gone.  Thus, I still think UCLA comes out a winner.


Week 11
VisitorHome
Colorado 10 Arizona 45
Arizona State 28 USC 42
Oregon State 28 Stanford 24
Utah 21 Washington 24
UCLA 24 WSU 17
Oregon 55 California 17

No comments: