Saturday, June 1, 2013

Dealing with a T-Mobile EasyPay glitch: was it a security breach?

I'm sure that this is entirely on T-Mobile's end: This morning I got a text message telling me that my account was past-due.  This didn't make any sense because I have had EasyPay automatic payments set up for several years now.

I logged online and I had to get past setting up new security Q/A section before I could check my account.  Then, when looking at my account, I saw that my EasyPay payment info was screwed up.  I had to reset my info, and then later I called T-Mobile customer care to see what happened.

On the phone, customer care said that they could see that I had fixed my EasyPay settings online this morning, and that there hadn't been any other activity in a while.

So what happened?

At first I thought it might be a glitch that occurred when they added new security features -- the stuff that I had to go through, when I went online this morning -- but now, I'm kind of wondering, was there a breach of T-Mobile accounts?  It would make sense, if they had a complete breach, that they would try to quietly reset credit card info as quickly as possible while requiring customers to set up new security info when they logged in.

No comments: