Thursday, June 20, 2013

Living connected.

I know that in this age of domestic spying, the popular suggestion is to live in a disconnected, tangled cloud of a thousand services, each requiring its own login and account.  The point being, that with a multi-layer approach, one must work hard to connect the dots of the different services you use, to look into all of your activities.  And I suspect that paranoid folks already do this.

But, I'm just an average Joe whose main concern is to not have to jumble a thousand passwords.  You and I use our browser cookies (some of you might not really understand how cookies work, but that's beside the point) to save our login information, whenever we can.   We leave tracks of our digital lives everywhere -- I do it on purpose, but somewhat subversively, to see how good people are at finding the digital me.

Whenever possible, I'd prefer not to have to log in to every service, but let's face it: No one company has a complete ecosystem in which you can fully live in, though Google comes close.  So, the next best thing is to find an online service that allows you to access and keep track of many of your cloud services by simply linking them: Jolicloud.

I've mentioned Jolicloud before, and the reason why I'm blogging about it tonight, is to report back that in the short time that I've used them, they've added a dozen connected services including tonight's addition:  Evernote.

So now, I've got Box, Google+, Google Drive, Picasa, Flickr, Youtube, Dropbox, Evernote and Pocket all lined up in my Jolicloud.  Here's my wish list: Google Play Music, Twitter, Google Keep, minutes.io (or something like it) Yahoo, Gmail and Outlook mail, and Pinterest.

It's good to live connected, and to have those connections tied into as few locations as possible.  Just pin Feedly and Jolicloud and three-quarters of my life is present and accounted for.

Sure, being connected makes it easier for the NSA to track you.  But until something goes bump in the night, I'm not going to become paranoid and wear tin foil hats.

No comments: