Monday, August 8, 2011

Yatta! I have my "Ultimate" Google News badge!

Yeah, uhm, well, I guess it's not that big of a deal.  I just wanted to see how many stories one would have to read, in order to reach the "Ultimate" level in Google News badges.  It took a while before it was working, too.  I had several days' worth of reading that was never counted.  Some things I learned as a result:

  • Bias is rampant throughout the internet, even under so called "news" articles;
  • If there's a way to restate numbers or otherwise exclude or isolate data to create an alternative narrative, people will do so (see first item);
  • News blogs are nothing but opinions by people who are biased (see first item);
  • A lot of paid analysts make up shit, then slap their credentials all over it (see first item);
  • A lot of articles make simple math mistakes online -- few people correct them, because they're too focused on responding one way or the other to the article (see first item);
  • No one spell checks, and even when they do, their articles fail the grammar check, mostly I think, because these authors are freelance, independent contractors as opposed to full-time paid employees;
  • I should be a paid analyst.





No comments: