Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Update on my refurb'd Dell XPS L702x.

Just over 28 hours later, and it's fixed.  The tech guy came in and replaced the screen with a new bezel in just 15 minutes -- I was talking with him so I probably slowed him down a bit.

I had been playing with it earlier today, and I like that it doesn't give off a lot of heat.  With Nvidia's Optimus switching technology, the 9-cell battery easily lasts 4+ hours.  The JBL sound on this is quite good...as good as the external small speakers on my desktop...or my desktop speakers suck?

Just as the guy said on the phone, he was able to push the schedule up, instead of 2-3 days for the repair.  Definitely worth the effort and trouble I had to go through, and just an extra day until everything was perfect.   :D

Quick review of specs:

  • 2720QM Sandy Bridge processor,
  • 500GB hard drive, 7200rpm,
  • 17.3" 1920x1080 screen,
  • NVIDIA 555M - 3GB memory,
  • 8x DVD+/-RW,
  • 9-cell battery,
  • 1 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0 ports,
  • HDMI port,
  • S/PDIF optical audio,
  • eSATA external port,
  • Bluetooth 3.0,
  • WiFi N.


For $825 refurbished with coupon.  That's pretty darn hard to beat.  Now if I can find an appropriate SSD to fill in the first hard drive slot...it'll be the perfect mobile workstation.

No comments: