Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Butterfish and other goodies at Trader Joes

Mmm mmm mmm... I just made some miso(yaki) butterfish from frozen fish bought from Trader Joe's.  Butterfish, aka Sablefish or Black Cod, when cooked, is a very light, white, buttery flavored fish.  Be forewarned: it can really stink up a place like few fish do, when you cook it.

What's miso butterfish?  It's when you fry / bake / grill butterfish that has been sitting for (at least) a day in a marinade made from 1 part sugar / 1 part miso (fermented soy beans) / 1 part mirin (a sweet wine).  It doesn't take long to cook, either; same as most any other fish, really.

No need to make it pretty, just be careful of the bones.  Unfortunately, normally miso butterfish is supposed to use steak cuts, but TJ's only has fillets.  I like it this way, actually, because it's easier to find the remaining bones.  Anyone who has eaten steak cut butterfish knows what I'm complaining about!

Ate it with a brown / white rice mix, and that's all.  I was going to rehydrate some seaweed (in Hawai'i, specifically limu / ogo), but I forgot -- was working on a different blog post while the oven was on.

Anyway, the other thing from TJ's that I've been completely hooked on, are their Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies.

Oh boy, these are some of the best cookies from TJ's, ever!  I can go through one of these boxes in just over a day, they're so yummy!!!

I was at TJ's a few days ago, buying a couple of boxes of these cookies, as the checkout woman and I were commiserating about how awesome these cookies were.  She said that for some reason there wasn't a consensus whether or not to sell these cookies...I was dumbfounded.  These cookies are AWESOME!!!

Don't eat chocolate?  Have you tried their Baked Cheese Crunchies?  They're better than any cheese puffs you'll ever eat.  So good, these things are.

Okay, so these baked cheese crunchies have been around for a while now.  But you see, I tried Safeway's Snack Artist cheese puffs, and they were woefully awful, just completely terrible.  Trust me, they are crap.  That's not to say that I don't like Safeway's Snack Artist series, because I do think their regular potato chips are solid.

Finally, TJ's Kettle Cooked Olive Oil Potato Chips -- much better than any other chips, hands down.  The hint of olive oil flavor is truly awesome.  If I'm at TJ's, I'll get these chips over any other of their other chips.


No comments: