Thursday, June 16, 2011

Paramount Pictures now utilizing strict DRM.

I have a computer set up, such that it is hooked up to a 24" screen LCD tv monitor (1920x1200 resolution!) in front of my bed.  It has served me really well that I watch most movies and videos either from DVD or streaming right from my bed.  About the only time I use my 42" plasma, is to watch live sports and broadcasts (or really good sci-fi movies) because it's a ton more comfortable on the bed.

Paramount undid that.

They've employed strict DRM that prevents VLC (and other players) from playing DVD movies, specifically True Grit.  It won't play properly; all you get is misrendered digital video.  And I think this might only apply to Netflix discs that Paramount sends over to them.

So do you suppose, Paramount is purposely targeting Netflix to harm their subscribers, so that people have to conform to Paramount's DRM or buy the movie in order to watch it from computers?

I'm pissed off at Paramount.  It's not as if they were blocking copying of movies; what they're doing is preventing proper playback of movies on a bunch of software such as VLC (by the way, VLC is the best media player!)

No comments: