Thursday, September 5, 2013

When phones go bad.

Yikes.  I just spent the better part of 2.5 hours resolving my GS-II phone's sudden fixation of being stuck in boot.  I don't know what caused the problem in the first place, but I have my suspicions: Salesforce app Go.  It was kind of crappy loading up, slowing things down.

I'd taken the battery out and put it back in to do a restart, but that didn't work.  In the end, I had to perform a factory reset that wiped all data and cleaned up whatever was causing the phone to remain stuck in boot-up.

The benefit of the factory reset: it worked.  If you need help figuring out how to reset a T989, watch this video.

The downside of the factory reset: all my app settings, login info and layouts were cleared, and because the last mandatory OTA update from T-Mo was 4.1.2, in order to get the optional 4.2.2 update, I have to connect to Kies -- something I have yet to do.

With Android, all of your Google Play apps are sync'd to your account, though you do have to update them, some manually.  It's not like before, where you'd have to go and download each app, assuming you could remember your list of apps -- that used to be a real pain in the butt.

For a while I was split between panicking about my phone going off the deep end and needing to buy a new phone short of the 2 year contract period's expiration, and excitement of buying a new phone.  Fortunately, I can put off that decision until after the next Nexus phone and the Moto X for T-Mobile are out, to compare prices and features (fingers crossed).

No comments: