Saturday, September 7, 2013

Final: USC 7 - WSU 10

Well, I was wrong, but not in a bad way.

I started writing this at the end of the 3rd quarter, but I had to redo it, because it ended a lot worse than I thought it could possibly end. I honestly thought USC's defense was going to score one for the team, bad as the game was, I didn't think they'd lose it.  As any WSU fan would say, the Trojans Coug'd it, and that started with the Kessler interception for a touchdown.

First, I was completely right on the point of USC's defense and WSU's offense.  Halliday threw for two more interceptions, one which negated a possible scoring opportunity for the Cougars.  Like I said, just because you throw for a bunch of yards with a ton of attempts, does not make for good offense.  USC's defense is awesome and Clancy Pendergast is a really great defensive coordinator.

But what I didn't realize, was how crappy the offense was.  Instead of progressing, the offense regressed, and by regressed, I mean they were too cerebral about what an offense is supposed to do.

I can see why there was a fight in the locker room at the Sun Bowl.  The offense stinks, because right or wrong, Kiffin does not trust his quarterbacks, so they've thrown sideways mostly.  USC's quarterbacks passed for just 2.6 yards per attempt.  That's so pathetic, it's USC offensive.  Heh.

And just as you saw in the Sun Bowl, when Wittek threw down field, it was Tebowed.  In other words, if was way off and ugly, and one got intercepted.  Both Kessler and Wittek were crappy.

Half the fans began walking out of the then 7-7 tied game in the fourth quarter.  It's as if they knew the outcome even though the game was tied, because they had zero confidence in Kiffin's play-calling.  The WSU broadcasters were just flabbergasted at all the fans leaving the Coliseum early.

The way they're headed, USC might not even reach .500 this year.

On the bright side of things, I guess I'll have more time to watch House of Cards, Leverage's final season, and Spartacus: War of the Damned, on DVDs this Fall, as well as streaming to my TV via Chromecast.


Update: After-game presser.



There might be one more bright side to all this: In desperation, Kiffin might go with the true freshman, Max Browne.  Hey, if you're going to have a losing season, let the Gatorade Offensive POTY learn on the field.

PPS: Wanted to clarify that USC didn't lose because this was a trap game that USC fell for. As I wrote on Friday, USC's secondary would do fine against Conner Halliday, and they did. If this were a trap game, then USC would be reasonably expected to win the vast majority of their games this season. At this point however, they look like they might lose most of their games this year, and the WSU loss was just the first sign of an impending collapse.

No comments: