Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The quirks of getting Amazon packages. [Updated]

I bought a bunch of things on Amazon last week, and I thought I'd share their journey with you.

It all started last week Tuesday when I ordered an off-brand remote release shutter, a 77mm circular polarizer, a stylus for my tablet and an extension tube for macro photography, with free super-saver shipping.  Several days passed.  I began to worry that my order got lost in the Amazon....warehouse.

On Friday, the first of two orders shipped from Georgia, via USPS, posted with a delivery for the 12th.  It arrived at my post office on the 9th.

Meanwhile, the other package shipped on Sunday, with a scheduled delivery date of today, the 11th.  It was shipped via FedEx SmartPost, and transferred over to USPS.  It arrived on the 10th and was available to pick up that same day -- see my previous post with some playing around with the macro extension tube.

As for that package that arrived on the 9th at my post office...

It just sat there.

No action.

Waiting.

Sigh.

So to recap: One package that was shipped on the 6th via entirely within USPS will have sat at the post office for three days before I can pick it up, while the other package shipped via FedEx then transferred to USPS, was out the door two days later but came two days sooner.

Weird.


Update: Here's the event log:

Scheduled Delivery Day:

September 12, 2013

Arrival at Post Office
September 12, 2013, 7:59 am
97208 
Depart USPS Sort Facility
September 12, 2013
97208 
Processed through USPS Sort Facility
September 11, 2013, 8:31 pm
97208 
Shipment Accepted
September 9, 2013, 1:08 pm
97208 

97208, the zip code of the primary sorting facility, is the same giant structure where my post office box is. It just sat there in the building since Monday.  No kidding.

No comments: