Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Quick experiments in super-macro photography. [Updated]

Just a quick post.  Got my Fotodiox Nikon Macro Extension Tube Kit in the mail tonight.  Last week the priced dropped below $10, so I grabbed it (it's gone back up to the previous price at $11.13).

It's not easy to attach and it's not easy to focus either (manual only).  I'm going to run outside and do some photos this week to test in full sun, but here's some fuzzy photos from just tonight.  FYI, unlike using a 105mm macro lens that gives you the ability to shoot macro from further away, the 49mm tube and a 55mm macro lens means you're just an inch or so away from your subject.

A white peach up close

A sliced green bell pepper up close


Update: I was playing around with other lenses and while the ultra-wide zoom didn't work out, the prime 85mm f/1.8 AF worked really well which was fascinating because it's a portrait lens with a minimum 2.8' focus distance, but with the extension tube it was 6".  I might start using this lens instead of the 55mm macro.

One image I took at f/16, the other one at f/1.8.  No photoshop blurring needed.

Fuzzy yellow peach

Fuzzy yellow peach

No comments: