Saturday, April 27, 2013

I'm not a fanboy of anyone.

I sometimes look like a Google fanboy, but it's not true...I have my Google gripes, too.

I hate how they change the UI on Chrome, seemingly on a whim.  I also hate how they randomly cut off products -- Reader -- even though there's a diehard group of users.

I happen to be a huge fan of Windows 7: I preordered it, and today I have three devices running W7.  However, I'm no fan of Windows 8 or Windows Phone.  If they had built the Courier, I'd probably have gotten it; I wish I had a Surface table for my coffee table.

When the Justice Department went after Microsoft in 1998, I had mixed feelings.  As I told my mortgage broker at the time, while IE killed Netscape, it also meant that we no longer had to pay for browsers, and today it's a given that browsers are completely free.

But since IE7, I've skipped on Microsoft's browser.

I'm a big fan of Apple's industrial design, even though I'm not a fan of its closed ecosystem.  It's tough, really, because I've often wanted to buy Apple products over the last decade, but then the thought of the closed Apple ecosystem enters my mind, and I lose all desire to complete the transaction. If you need proof of why you shouldn't be a fanboy, just look at how large Apple's profit margins are, on all those fanboys who can't bear to think of living outside of the Apple ecosystem.

I have long adored Samsung products, going back well over a decade ago when I bought a LaserDisc / CD player from them.  But they also scare the shit out of me, because they are a chaebo, and by nature of the chaebo, they tend to act on monopolistic desires.  See: DRAM and monitors.

I hate to love Adobe, but I've tried open source graphic software and they suck balls.  I really hate the price of Adobe software, even the subscription prices.

It's the identical case for Autodesk.  I hate to love them because their prices are even more exorbitant, but it also speaks to the wider disparity between quality of software, to that of free or cheaper alternatives.

So you see, I'm not a fanboy.

No comments: