Monday, April 15, 2013

I still stand behind what I said 15 years ago.

I admire lots of styles / archetypes / vernacular designs, but as I told some friends 15 years ago, I am not a romanticist: I am an ultra-modern.

I personally, do not care to contribute to what I consider to be the decontextualization of styles / archetypes / vernacular work, even if others enjoy doing so.  At the same time, I believe that it's perfectly acceptable for people to follow whatever path they wish to go down.  And of course the reality is, most people want you to apply a romanticist vision, not a forward-looking vision, to their projects -- sometimes one can't be an ultra-modern in practice.  Yet, I constantly strive to test new means, new ideas, new materials, new processes.  I'm always looking forward to the newest idea, and I don't think that's such a bad thing.

Therefore, (at least in all intentions) I am, and probably always will be, an ultra-modern.

(I'm trying my best to procrastinate doing my taxes.  I finally got onto Amazon, bought (it's the cheapest way to do it) and downloaded H&R Block Deluxe, installed, updated then imported last year's return, upon which, I found myself on Pinterest and I suddenly felt like writing about being an ultra-modern.)

No comments: