Sunday, February 3, 2013

Totally hating on Google Music right now.

Arghh.  This is frustrating.  Uploading my entire (that which I've ripped from my collection so far) has turned it into a nightmare fiasco.  Google Music won't let me categorically search for albums, and it won't (properly) read the meta data of each file to know the order of the music.  Somehow, some music files are missing, too!

My Mahler Symphony #1 is missing its second movement, and Kindertotenlieder is missing its third section.  I have an album of Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini, performed by the Mahler Chamber Orchestra, and Google Music won't let me filter that out of my searches for music written by Gustav Mahler.  It screwed up the folders of Amadeus, mixing up music from the first disc with the second disc.

Forget about getting the correct album art, or any album art for that matter.  Greatest hits albums seem to be the biggest problem, with Fleetwood Mac, Sublime, Bananarama, Bee Gees, James Ingram, etc. all missing album art.  How they have the artwork for Alan Parsons On Air, but not The Best of Alan Parsons Project, is beyond comprehension.  How they could switch the album art of (The Best of) New Order with New Order Singles, is mind-boggling.

My MTV Party to Go series are screwed up.  The albums' meta data did not add a zero in front of album numbers, so instead of '09', it is listed as '9'.  Thus, Google Music filtering thinks that 10 comes before 9 -- machine learning is a bitch.

How frustrating is that?  I am not sure, but I suspect a lot of my music was lost somewhere in the cloud.  Thank goodness I have an entire drive on my computer of every FLAC file that I uploaded!

It took them three weeks to fix the George Michael Faith album mix-up, which seems to signal that their Google Music Match is garnering a lot of complaints...and that it'll take several years before they fix all the bugs.

I think I might quit Google Music and build a streaming DLNA server instead.

Frustration.

No comments: