Wednesday, February 6, 2013

More on my wireless network router mods.

After adding a Fantom drive to my router, I decided to do some modifications to the router.

First, I removed the broadcasting of my router's SSID, to make it slightly safer.  Now, when someone uses their wireless to search for WiFi stations, they won't see my network.  This of course is meaningless if you have the right tools to sniff out networks, but it does stop casual and accidental hacking.

Second, I fixed the broadcast channel.  It's been driving me nuts for the last few months, that at least one noob has built a wireless network and has been interfering with mine, such that I sometimes have to use wired ethernet to avoid the slowdown caused by the interference.  I know there are a bunch of noobs out there, because they've been using WPS, which broadcasts a signal to all routers within range.

If I were evil, I'd cancel my ISP and hack into someone's router using WPS, then turn my router into a signal repeater and use their internet access.  And I'd do it to the person who thought they'd name their router "Viral", as if that'd scare anyone off -- this person would deserve it, too, because they're using WEP, which can be broken in minutes.

But I'm not evil.

Heh.

No comments: