Monday, February 11, 2013

Best quote by the guy who shot Usama Bin Laden.

I'm not a pacifist; I can't be, because Evil doesn't lay down and surrender and isn't one to listen to reason.  Since 9/11, I've always felt that Afghanistan was a necessary war to go after one of the worst mass killers in American history.  (Don't get me wrong: I think the assault on the civil liberties of Americans is wrong, that water-boarding is illegal torture, and both point to an establishment of a perpetual state of fear.  But I just know that there are some truly evil people out there, and that they need to be killed ASAP, not some 10 years later.)

Thus, I was interested in reading the REAL first-person account of the raid on Usama Bin Laden's Abbottabad compound, written up in Esquire.  It was about the mission, but it was also about the after life of a specialized warrior employee of the United States, talking about the hardships they faced with limited support.

Within the article, one awesome section that serves as a counterpoint to a certain ST6 member who went public and wrote a book:
[If caught] "The original plan was to have Vice-President Biden fly to Islamabad and negotiate our release with Pakistan's president. 
This is hearsay, but I understand Obama said, Hell no. My guys are not surrendering. What do we need to rain hell on the Pakistani military? That was the one time in my life I was thinking, I am fucking voting for this guy.  I had a picture of him lying in bed at night, thinking, You're not fucking with my guys. Like, he's thinking about us. 
We got word that we'd be scrambling jets on the border to back us up."
 There are a few other choice quotes in there, but that section (above) cracked me up.

It's worth a read, because it clears up the misinformation that has been spread around, including that which was seen on 60 Minutes, in an interview with the one ST6 member who went public and wrote a book on the raid.

No comments: