Monday, February 4, 2013

Call me stupid.

Ha ha....ugh.

I've got a couple of Fantom drives connected to my desktop workstation for backup, one of which is a USB 3.0 device.  These days however, my laptop (newer) is where I do the majority of my work, and I only occasionally copy back to the external drives.  I've also had my current wireless router for the last four years now; it never occurred to me that the USB on the back of the router meant that I could just attach any drive to it and use it as a network drive.  Last week while looking into Pogo Plug v4, I started putting together a map of my network, and wondered if I could just attach a drive to my router.

Today, I decided I didn't have anything to lose, and pulled one of the Fantom drives and attached it to my router.  Turns out, it shows up as a network share, and now I'm streaming media on both my netbook and my laptop at the same time, which also means that I can drop tons of backup files and access them from any other computer.

The only thing I haven't yet figured out, is how to stream DLNA to my Android devices.  Add a couple of Bluetooth speakers and it'll be incredible.

I'm still planning on setting up a RAID 1+0, though that'll cost me about $600+ to set up properly, and I'd rather get a folding bike first; this will suffice for now.

No comments: