Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Fly to Mars and back...or die trying.

Billionaire dude just announced a plan to send an older married couple to Mars and back, in 2018, in about 500 days, in a craft with an interior footprint of about 12 feet by 14 feet.

I appreciate what he's trying to accomplish and love the idea of going on a long voyage with someone I love, am friends with, and enjoy being around.  But 500 days with that person, in a space craft whose size amounts to a master bedroom, is really pushing the limits of sanity.  The purpose of using an older, married couple is meant to limit the risk of two occupants going crazy.

I'd probably survive better if I went alone, with my dog.  And 1,000 hours of ripped music and movies.  And my Nexus 7 of course, to play video games.

Can you imagine a dog walking on the surface of Mars?  He'd probably want to pee on one of the rovers...but of course instead, end up peeing inside his suit.

An update: Apparently they won't be landing on Mars.  70 million miles (back and forth, combined) and all I got was some photos while orbiting Mars, and the damned camera had some lint in it.  It's bad enough driving to the coast and back in the day -- hey at least I got to walk on the beach -- but to go all the way to Mars and not even step on Martian soil?  Why?

No comments: