Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Using Moo to create business cards.

I'm having a go at creating my own ID cards -- something that I've off and on tried to do, but knowingly failed miserably, to push my working knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign.

This is the finalized design.  Note: I'm too lazy to reoutput to the trimmed size; what you're seeing is the bleed image output which is slightly larger than the actual card size.

It may look dark green on your screen but it's very close to black -- PMS color.


Since I'm all about multi-faceted design, I needed a means to express that within the cards.  Also, I figured if I came up with a logo - or more precisely customized glyphs - I could then transfer that to various things such as laser-etched furniture or basic ID paraphernalia.

Moo had recently introduced Luxe cards, which are 32 pt thick cards -- something you might see at a letterpress operation not a digital press -- that include some color options for the edge of the card.  Moo also allows for the "back" of cards to hold different images -- in my way of thinking the images, which change, would be on the front, not the back.  So if you're ordering 50 cards, you could design 50 different "backs" with the same front, although that seems like a hell of a lot of work.

I'm waiting on a friend to say yea-or-nay on stickers I designed for her, so I haven't yet placed the order, let alone had a chance to physically play with them to interact and judge their product quality, but at $35 + $7 shipping for 50 cards, that's a really nice means of keeping costs down for the self-employed (me) as an entry point of building one's own ID.

Actually, they have a cheaper option for half the thickness and no colored edges, for $20 and 50 cards, but Luxe really appeals to me.

No comments: