Sunday, March 11, 2012

Android at Best Buy...playing with toys.

I was at the Best Buy Express store playing around with all the new stuff.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise -- the Droid Razr, Samsung Galaxy Note and Samsung Galaxy Nexus are really impressive.  They're extremely thin, it's unbelievable how nice they feel in the hand.  The iPhone 4S is absolutely portly and an antiquated form factor with that tiny screen, by comparison.

A note on the Galaxy...err...Note: The phone does not have a good response with the stylus; it reminds me of trying to use my Wacom with cloud-based paint programs, compared to my Photoshop.  I'd love to see if this lag is overcome with a quad core phone.

Then I played with the Asus Transformer Prime and Samsung Galaxy Tab (both the 10.1" and the 8.9") and all three were very impressively thin and feel nicely solid in the hand.  Ice Cream Sandwich is slightly different in how you navigate (compared to past Android OS versions), but it's not that hard to learn.  They don't have the "new" iPad in (obviously), but the iPad2 was fat and heavy when compared to those three Android tablets.

It's just amazing how solid these new Android devices are...I suspect I'll end up with an Android tablet this year, for sure.

Oh, and the Kindle Fire?  FAT.

Acer Iconia 7" tablet is also fat, but not Kindle Fire fat.

You'd think if it was a 7" tablet, it's okay to be fat, but once you've handled the Asus Transformer Prime or the Galaxy Tabs, you won't want a fat tablet.

No comments: