Thursday, May 20, 2010

Why I don't do drugs.

Not a PSA. I bring this terse post up, because I read this article in the NYT about chefs using marijuana to relieve the stress from their work. And you know, I don't care what other people do. See, I know LOTS of people who do take a toke or two. But I never have and never will, for one simple reason.

- and no, it's not because it's illegal and I'm some Dudley Do-Right-

It's because being illegal means that Mary Jane will typically require the involvement of unsavory people who have no compunction to use violence. There is no difference between someone at the head of Halliburton whose monetary incentive allows them to overlook vices of his or her trade, regardless of the consequences, and a drug dealer. I have a serious personal problem with that. Other people, if they feel that their actions have no consequences, let them be. Maybe I'm wrong; maybe drug dealers are actually humanitarians?

No comments: