Monday, June 26, 2017

I saved some Oregon Ducks.

No, not that kind of Oregon Ducks. I'm talking Mallard ducklings.


The other day I'd spotted a family of newly hatched ducklings and their mother enjoying the world that is known as the Tanner Springs Park. So cute.

This morning I was catching some Pokemon while looking for the ducklings. I heard duck sounds and thought it'd be the perfect video to take. I started taking the video when I suddenly realized what was going on: Two ducklings were stuck in the metal grates, with their heads poking out. Both the ducklings and momma were panicking. The video cuts off to the bottom left because that's when I stopped filming and tied the dog to the handrail so that I could help these ducklings.

There was no possibility that I wasn't going to help them out. There are a couple of cats who roam the streets in the Pearl. Also, there are many bully birds out there. Years ago I mentioned that I'd saved a dove from being cornered and bullied by a bunch of pigeons and a crow not too far from Tanner Springs Park. Bottom line: I was going to save those ducklings.

It took me a good five minutes. First, I thought maybe I could lift the grates up just enough for them to crawl out. Impossible. They were welded down. I then tried to gently pull them out, but their necks are a lot smaller than their rear ends. I then tried to slide them sideways to the closest end that appeared to have a wider opening, but that crack was still too small for their rear ends. Finally, I gently nudged them to go back down and coaxed them with my finger to go back out the way they first entered the slotted space.

Momma duck didn't stop crying until the second duckling was freed and both ducklings had stopped crying. So adorable. So soft, too. Soft as a puppy's head.

What an awesome way to start the week, right?

No comments: