Friday, January 13, 2012

(Mostly) White backlash?

I've been noticing something lately online in comment sections of tech and news blogs... white people who might otherwise be more fair-minded, appear to be lashing out against other races, openly.

If a violent crime committed by African-Americans against White-Americans is reported in the news, I'm seeing a trend of comments citing it as proof that African-Americans are violent.

Recently, CNET reported on a patent granted to Microsoft, dubbed the "avoid ghetto" patent for providing pedestrian-friendly directions to avoid high-crime areas.  In the comment section of this tech blog, people have taken to being outwardly expressive about their antagonism towards other races :
"There's nothing wrong with being a "discriminating" consumer."
"Just stay out of black and hispanic neighborhoods."
 "Who says we all want to be integrated?"
"I make it a point not to drive through black neighborhoods anyways. I'm all for my handheld devices keeping me as far away from them as possible."
"Majority of violent crimes are committed by blacks and hispanics."

I get the sense all the rhetoric allowed in the media has stoked race hate, and people are ready to snap on both sides.

No comments: