Monday, January 16, 2017

5 Thoughts for January 16, 2017

  1. MLK Day: Some people make great sacrifices for the benefit and welfare of others -- that's who Martin Luther King Jr was. When we celebrate MLK Day, we remember a civil rights leader who was considered a subversive by the FBI, and despite being arrested multiple times and violence all around him, held his head high and maintained his ideology of non-violent resistance. Were he alive today, he would be both proud that we have a black President and shocked that people have nonchalantly accepted the rebirth of Racism.
  2. USC Competition: I don't know if (S) Bubba Bolden and (S) Isaiah Pola-Mao are going to both end up at USC, but Bolden said, "If he comes to SC he’s going to have to work just like I’m going to have to work. In my eyes, I’m going to get on the field." I love that. They're both obviously extremely competitive guys and one of the things that had been lacking at USC, as a result of the sanctions, was competitiveness. Just by being on the same team, they'll make each other better.
  3. Snowflakes: Of late, conservatives have taken to the internets to ridicule liberals by calling them "snowflakes". Seems a bit odd, in particular, that this insult has profligated on Oregonlive, given that a lot of people have totaled their vehicles these past several days, with 10" of snowflakes on the ground. With no small irony, snowflakes have collectively shut down capitalism.
  4. Amazon: I mentioned the other week that I'm pretty much the only person I know who doesn't have Amazon Prime. I guess you could say that I'm trying to fight off the notion that I need stuff. In fact, I just cleared out a bunch of stuff that I was price tracking in my Saved for Later Cart. This video makes me laugh when I think about how everyone else has Amazon Prime:

  5. Green Day: Their new video just released, "Troubled Times", is spot on. T'is a good day -- MLK -- to release it, but I think The Emperor's inauguration would have been the perfect day.

No comments: