Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Work.

A lot of people seem to think that design should be easy and fast.  Neither is true.

Design is a deliberative process that requires many steps to model, review, and alter.  Some designs are purely accidental discoveries, and others are the result of purely intentional actions, but I think most are a blend of the two.  But you don't come out with any accidental discoveries if you don't take the time to work through the design.  Any of these processes take time, but the end result is not the completion of the "ideation" portion; you still have to present the idea properly.

The presentation of a design is nearly as important as the product itself.  A poorly presented idea risks losing eyeballs.  Once you've lost eyeballs, you've lost the ability to convey your intended message, either to a general audience or to a specific client.  This often results in the rejection of an idea, irrespective of its merits.

I sometimes get asked, "Which design option do you prefer?"  To which, I always respond, "It doesn't matter, because I never present any idea that I am not highly enthusiastic over."  You'd be surprised at how often I've seen other designers present ideas that they're not excited about.  Why do they do this?  Because they think that this is what the client wanted, as opposed to what you're trying to guide the client towards.

Just sharing my 10 minutes of thought this morning, as I tackle a deadline for a retail design project.

No comments: