Friday, December 21, 2012

The gangification of America -- why the NRA's got the paradigm backwards.

I keep hearing this idea, "I have a right to protect myself (with guns); if you don't want to protect yourself, that's your choice."  Alternatively and related, I've also heard, "Only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun."

And I keep thinking, these are exactly the same justifications you hear from gang members.  They are taking the law into their own hands, and protecting themselves; they don't trust the police and they don't think the police can protect them.  They know the other side has guns, so they feel the pull to equally arm themselves for a confrontation: KILL OR BE KILLED.

If you do not trust society, you are not a part of society.

We are well onto the American Dystopia.

No comments: