Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Ever notice those four metallic conductor dots on your Nexus 7?

From the first day I received my Nexus 7 months ago, I wondered what purpose those four metallic contacts (called pogo pins) served.  If you look at the bottom-left edge of the Nexus 7, you'll find four little dots that looked like contact points.

The answer: charging / syncing / audio out.

Via Asus Japan's website, they have listed a new dock for the Nexus 7, which sits in landscape mode, on its left side.  Now obviously the dock is only decoration if it requires you to plug the microUSB on the bottom of the tablet to the dock, which in turn uses another microUSB to plug into the wall / computer.  That would not make much sense if you're charging upwards of 3480 yen ($42 USD).

And it's a good time too, because the microUSB plug that came with the tablet, got bent out of shape and requires some jiggering to get it to charge, or otherwise I have to rely on a different microUSB plug that I have for my bluetooth stereo headset charging.

But back to the dock.  Not that big of a surprise, since the Galaxy Nexus makes use of pogo pins for this dock.  This dock is definitely going to find its way into my home.


No comments: