Thursday, December 27, 2012

Major SketchUp 8 Pro Maintenance 5 release bug?

If you've already updated to Maintenance 5, you might come across a major bug in SketchUp 8 Pro that I've just begun dealing with, and I think I have a workaround, but it's a lousy workaround.

The first time I got a bug splat on this bug, was when I tried to restore my toolbar locations (View/Toolbars/Restore Toolbar Locations).  As soon as I hit the command, it crashed my SketchUp model that was only 2.1 MB.

The second time I got a bug splat related to this same bug, was when I tried to physically move a rubyscript toolbar.

The third time I got a bug splat related to this bug, was when I tried to open SU; it simply shot straight to a bug splat, unable to open SU!

I then realized the workaround: temporarily relocate the rubyscripts that contain toolbars, so that SU can't find them.  The lousy part, of course, is that it means that these rubyscripts which worked fine under the previous maintenance releases, now are useless.

At least I can now open SU, though; a panic spread through my head as I thought about the consequences of not being able to use SU just when I needed it most to produce conceptual designs!

I should add: I've been able to verify and replicate this bug, first by temporarily removing rubyscripts with toolbars, then opening up SU8, and then returning those same rubyscript files to the plugins folder and again opening up SU8.

Again, MAJOR bug in SU8 Pro, Maintenance 5 release prevented me from using rubyscript toolbars.


Add: If you haven't installed SU8 M5, and you want to continue to use your rubyscript toolbars, I suggest you avoid installing it!



Update!: Okay, it wasn't SU8 that was necessarily the problem. It turns out, it was Nvidia's driver update (310.70) for GeForce 555M. It was the only software affected by the video driver update as far as I could tell, but it was a significant problem. Another problem that I noticed, was that it was taking a very long time for SU8 to start up, and everytime I minimized then maximized or changed focus back to SU8, it would take a long time to refresh all of the detached toolbars.

It took a while, but I finally turned back the clock with System Restore. That brought up its own problems, including Chrome, and of course I had to reinstall all of the critical Windows updates since three weeks ago.

So, some 5 hours later and it's all fixed: The Rubyscript problem is no longer, even with SketchUp 8 Maintenance 5 update.

No comments: