Friday, May 6, 2011

Malware via javascript in Google image searches.

I'd noticed this previously, some images in a Google image search, if you clicked through, would deliver you to a site that would try to install malware on your computer (thank goodness for AVG blocking).  Today, Brian Krebs covers this issue, and describes how Firefox has an extension that adds a red frame around images (compromised sites) that are linked to malware.



Since I use Chrome and there was no such extension - yet - for Chrome, I decided it was time to block all javascript.  Sounds draconian, but Chrome makes it easy enough to enable javascript on sites, by clicking on the icon that comes up on each site, creating an exception within Chrome (then hitting the reload button to refresh the page coding).  Hint: if a website does not look right, it's because you need to enable javascript.

I also do something similar with 3rd party cookies and primary cookies.  I've disabled all third-party cookies in Chrome, but I've also added a Chrome extension, Vanilla Cookie Manager, which allows me to selectively block first-party (primary) cookies, as a means to explore websites I have no idea whether or not they're legit, without handing them the opportunity to track my actions and dropping accessible code into my computer.



No comments: