Friday, April 1, 2011

Very angry at ex-coworker friend.

I passed along some information that I thought she might want to know - it was about the financial situation of the company I used to work for, and that she still works for.  The news was shocking to me, and she being a friend, I figured she might want to get her things in order and be prepared, in case shit hit the fan and the company went out of business.

Turns out, she blabbed her mouth at work asking about how the company was doing, and citing info I told her about, and it set off a firestorm shitstorm of action with phones going crazy and lawyers getting called.  I'm so fucking pissed off at her; I was trying to ensure that she was well prepared for any bad news (considering the litany of crap she said she's being going through), were it to come (like the office shutting down), and she screwed me over.

And now she won't answer her phone or reply.  I was really angry at her for being such a tool, but it's got me thinking that maybe she wasn't really a friend after all?  Maybe I'm the idiot for believing that she was a friend that I could trust?  She hasn't yet apologized, and I was totally blindsided, so it seems like she's just not giving a shit about me or anyone else.

Can't trust her anymore.



Update: After a bunch of text messages back and forth (curious why she'd rather exchange text messages instead of talking on the phone -- I might have to do a honey pot test), the straw that broke the camel's back was when she apologized for my getting into trouble with the person whose information I shared with her.  It's the last straw, because she's deliberately passing off responsibility, essentially saying that she's not sorry for her actions, but that she's sorry for the actions of others -- either a sign of cognitive dissonance or a dishonest but guilty conscience.

Her excuse: I didn't explicitly tell her that our conversation was in confidence.  WTF sort of BULLSHIT is that?  That stuff is implied, when it comes to information about the health of a company.  The company's leadership took forever before they came out and openly responded / talked about how their line of credit was drying up and they were having problems finding new sources, and the only reason why they did that, was to announce layoffs and "voluntary" pay cuts.  BULLSHIT, right?  So I can't believe that she'd tacitly trust what they tell her.  And now, their lawyers could easily just add my name to a lawsuit or to compel me to testify against my source, or to implicate me in civil court.

And then she tried to pin the blame all on my source.   It didn't matter whether or not it was true, but that I put it out there (on a limb no less) so that she could prepare in advance, just in case it was true.  Given the history of the company, it seemed like a prudent and reasonable warning to pass on to her.  The way I contextualize it, is if I were in her position, I would want to know as far in advance as possible of potential problems, so that I could properly prepare via getting finances in order and dusting off my resume with updated information while networking with former colleagues to see if there was inside information of a possible job availability coming up soon.

But the worst part in all of this, is that she placed me in a position to deal with the shit that came up after the fact, and having to walk on eggshells with my source, plus, she burned MY bridges that I wasn't intending on burning.  She detrimentally affected my livelihood by blabbing her mouth, instead of quietly preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

It turns out, I am the idiot after all, believing that I could trust her or help her...and I should have known, because another friend complained to me about her on this very personality conflict.

No comments: