Friday, December 31, 2010

Kodachrome processing is at an end.

Dwayne's Photo has officially ended accepting rolls of Kodachrome positive slide films for processing, marking the end of an era.  Around the world, Dwayne's was the last Kodachrome processor, and the end was expected, as Kodachrome was last sold in 2009.

But I have a roll in my freezer.

And I guess I should throw it out.

I thought about it for a day, and realized that though I could certainly pull my FE2 camera out and take photos in a day and then send it in to Dwayne's, I'm not so sure that a 17 year old roll of Kodachrome was worth it...the chemicals on the film are probably degraded.  But even if it were in perfect condition, rushing just to get film processed didn't make any sense.  I like to compose a theme in my head before I go out and shoot, and well, the thinking part of it all takes the longest.

And honestly, there's a reason why my freezer still has about two dozen rolls with B/W, Ektachrome, Infrared and color film...I love using digital.  I think I just keep the film there in the freezer, believing that one day, I'll get motivated and create entire themes worthy of shooting with film, just so that I can be authentic and publish it as such.

Anyway, au revoir Kodachrome, I still have your slides in my archives.

No comments: