Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sigh. No northern lights.

I got in the car, got a medium diet coke from a 24 hour McDonald's on W Burnside, then drove out to Sauvie Island, hoping to at least see a glow.  Well, when I got there, I checked my phone, and the auroral oval had shrunk far up north of the Canadian border. :P
But at least the moon was out, and I got some freaking awesome photos anyway.  So you have to remember, this is out in the middle of Sauvie Island, 2:00 am, and the only light is coming from the full moon.  This shot is looking due north.


This shot is looking south towards Portland's West Hills, otherwise known as the Tualatin Mountains, which is nowhere near the City of Tualatin, but gets its name from the Tualatin Kalapuya Indians whose area ranged from the Tualatin River to the Tualatin Mountains.



This one, I thought I'd play with a tungsten flashlight to highlight a tree in the middle of the field.  It turned the tree leaves to a much brighter green than what it really is.



The reddish color is actually the glow of the city (Vancouver, WA).


Last, what would a night in complete darkness (except moonlight) be, without taking a photo of the xB?  I just love how the moonlight looks like the sun and the shadow cast is very strong.



No comments: