Friday, August 27, 2010

All this bedbug news lately, I thought I should compare.

Was contemplating visiting Vancouver, BC, and was looking through Amtrak's "deals".  I was checking the cheapest hotel options in downtown Vancouver, and cross checked any reports on the bedbug registry website, and they all had problems.  No wonder, really, as the news has been catching on, albeit slowly, about the bedbug explosion.  So popular are bedbugs now, that the Chicago Trib's got a top-15 US cities infested with bedbugs; needless to say, I'm not visiting NYC any time soon.  They're in movie theaters, stores, and office buildings, and in some cases, even furniture rental businesses.

So I got to thinking, I'd compare what it was like last year compared to this year.  Went back to a post from last year, and grabbed that image, and posted it alongside a new screen grab from today.

Sad - or scary - on how the number of buildings with reported infestations have grown.  21 new reports in 26 days so far this month!  Next year, I wonder if the entire downtown area will be infested?  I'll grab another image next year and do another comparison.  (Maybe I'll eventually get around to making a nice, interactive flash object.)

No comments: