Saturday, September 3, 2011

Spotify and the 80s.

The great thing about the past, is that with enough time, there will be compilation albums.  Got Spotify?  Just search for "80s", and you'll come up with an instant mix playlist of songs from the 80s.  I suppose it would work for other decades, but I grew up in the 80s, so it rulez.  ;)



Update two hours later: I started with that quickie 80s playlist, but then I decided to go ahead and build my own 80s list. So far I've built it up to 18 hours and 265 tracks. I'm pretty sure I can get to 24 hours shortly, but I'm shooting for 40 hours. Imagine a regular work week full of 80s songs without any repeats.

Second update: Now up to 405 tracks and around 27 hours of 80s music. I'm finding some music is locked away from Spotify like Linda Ronstadt's "Somewhere Out There".


Third update: I'm all tapped out at this point with 667 tracks, and 47 hours of music...THAT'S FORTY-SEVEN HOURS OF 80s MUSIC!!!

I'm calling it "The 80s super mega playlist".

I later discovered that if I typed into the search bar "year:1980-1989" (without the quotes), I would have found music released during those years. The downside is that they would include ALL music, not just rock and pop, etc. Also, you can search by genre the same way, "genre:pop". However you can't combine both, or at least I haven't found a method to combine them.

Curiously, you can type in "genre:downbeat" but not "genre:chill".  And under downbeat, there's Dirty Vegas, Royksopp, Thievery Corporation, Groove Armada, Baby Mammoth.

No comments: