Thursday, February 24, 2011

What feeling do you get, when you listen to the Twin Peaks Theme (Falling)?

Ignore the video clip excerpts from Twin Peaks, and just listen to the music.  When I listen to the music, I think this quote fits perfectly:

“A feeling of sadness and longing that is not akin to pain, and resembles sorrow only as the mist resembles the rain.” - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
I just don't know many theme songs (or any song for that matter) that delivers that odd feeling juxtaposed between sadness, longing, and emptiness and regret, like this one.  When I listen to this song, I can practically recall the same feeling I'd get whenever I came home from a trip away with friends, during grade school years. It's a palpable feeling in your heart, but it is decidedly not the outpouring of bottled up feelings of sadness from when someone close to you passes away -- that's altogether a different song (see Moby's 18 below).





Oh yeah, and it's 4:30 am +/- and it's snowing in downtown Portland; perfect for listening to Falling.

No comments: