Friday, February 22, 2008

I'm an idiot.

I can't believe I waited this long (over a year) to supplement my dual dual-core xeon workstation at home with upgraded memory. My system shipped with 1 GB of 533 Mhz ECC FB-DIMMs, and I knew all along that my system was having difficulties because of the memory limitations.

However, you have to understand that my system already has Xeons running at 3.0 Ghz / 1333 Mhz bus speed and a 10,000 rpm SATA drive. Most people have the standard SATA-300 running at 7200 rpm, but let me tell you first of all, even at 150, the SATA running 10,000 rpms is still twice as fast.

Wow, I just received my (2) 2 GB chips today from Newegg, and the difference is huge. I thought my system ran fast before, now it blazes without sweating a drop. My hard drive barely moves (no caching). The same rendering that took my dual xeon workstation at work 10 minutes to do, that used to take my workstation at home 5 minutes to do, now takes 2 minutes...that's how it feels.

The renderer I use for my models allows me to select the number of processors to dedicate towards rendering, which up till now, made little difference because I only had 1 GB of memory. Now with 4 GB, it makes sense, and the speed is clear.

Also arrived with my new memory chips was my Panasonic NC headphones and my....drum roll....Taiyo Yuden CDRs. If you know what I'm talking about, then you know that Taiyo is considered the best of the best blank disks, and they were fairly cheap on Newegg. I can't wait to burn MP3 disks so that I can play them on my Philips micro stereo that I got a month ago for my bathroom. :D

No comments: