Monday, December 17, 2007

My faves of PC World's 15 biggest disappointments-2007

  • #14 - Municipality WiMax. They kinda blurred the lines between WiMax and WiFi, and lumped them together. From my experience in downtown Portland, there's hardly enough APs to cover the city on every block, so to save MetroFi money, you're forced to use a directional antenna. That really defeats the purpose of having free WiFi access.
  • #13 - Social Networks. They should have come up with an interoperable schema for their individual networks, don't you think?
  • #10 - Wireless Carriers. These companies cannot decide whether they want to compete with cable/copper internet access or not. They charge you an arm and a leg, and expect you to stick around? No freaking way, man, that's just dumb. Churn, baby churn...cell phone inferno...churn baby churn.
  • #9 - Office 2007. I don't have any sympathy for anyone still using Office software. If you haven't even tried Open Office, you're an idiot. If you've tried Open Office and still want to stick with MS Office, you might as well hand your credit card over to me - I can spend your money better than you can.
  • #8 - OS X 10.5, aka Leopard. No one is dumb enough to upgrade the day they release the software, right? You know, I warned my parents NOT to do exactly that, but they did, and now they're screwed.
  • #4 - Yahoo. Boy oh boy, that's a biggie. I stopped using Yahoo's search a long time ago. Their only bright spots are Flickr (but that could easily go by the wayside), and their portal. I couldn't stand the flaws in their new email UI, so I had to switch it back to the classic UI - I'm not going to wait 30 seconds for the damned UI to load.
  • #2 - Hi-Def war. Yeah, no one's old enough to remember the beta vs vhs war...because Sony lost. Sony's at it again with the BluRay. Did Sony win the flash card war with their Memory Stick? I think Sony is only going to delay the adoption of HiDef DVD. I'd bet most people prefer to use an upscaling DVD player instead!
  • #1 - Vista. See Leopard.

No comments: